Search Our Site: 

Mildew, Mold and Health Issues


We have all seen it, black, brown, yellow even white nasty stuff growing in our bathrooms, on clothing in our closet, even on the outside of our house and roof. It even infiltrates areas we cannot see like air ducts, remote attic or basement spaces or wall cavities.



Where they come from . . .

Mildew is the name for certain organism and the plant diseases they cause, and the discoloration and disintegration of materials caused by fungi. It does not contain chlorophyll and therefore, cannot manufacture its own food. Its growth is encouraged by high humidity and limited air circulation. It frequently attacks exterior painted surfaces which provide a food source. Mildew forms as tiny dark spots (usually brown, purple or black) which result in an unattractive, dirty appearance.


Molds are a member of the fungi family. Molds also do not contain chlorophyll and therefore, cannot produce their own food. Molds can live off of a tremendous variety of food sources as well as reproduce in large quantities. Mold spores travel through the indoor and outdoor air continually.



Health Issues . . .


Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores can cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic reactions to mold are common and can be delayed up to six hours. They include but are not limited to:
  • Can trigger asthma attacks (repeated exposure to mold sometimes causes previously non-sensitive individuals to become sensitized).
  • Respiratory problems
  • Hay fever-type symptoms
  • Nose and throat irritation
  • Water, reddened or burning eyes
  • Headache
  • Fatigue


How to get rid of it . . .


First the affect area must be cleaned from the surface. One of the only things that kills mildew is bleach, so using a mixture of bleach, soap, and water to clean the surface will take care of the "getting rid of it" portion.

How to keep it away . . .


Stay-Clean I/E Mildewcide Paint Additive

  • Add Stay-Clean to any oil or latex based paint, stain or sealant, even wallpaper adhesive and apply it to the wall.
  • Inhibits mold & mildew grown on interior and exterior surfaces.
  • Last 3-5 years, depending on conditions.
  • Won't affect color or texture of paint coating.